At Optometrists on Colborne, we have gradually worked our way towards a careful re-entry into regular eye and vision care with the excellent guidance and recommendations of Ontario Public Health, the Ontario Minister of Health and our College of Optometrists of Ontario. It will be different “seeing” you again, but it will be safe. Weeks of thoughtful preparations have gone into the following guidelines, changes and protocols that you will notice at your next visit:
- A risk assessment and health screening will be performed at the time of scheduling an appointment and upon arrival at the clinic. Once you have parked at the office, please phone reception (519-679-6001) to check in. If you do not have a cell phone, please knock on the front door and we will meet you there. Your temperature will be taken with a no-touch infrared thermometer. Those who do not pass the screening will unfortunately, not be allowed to enter the clinic.
- We will maintain a registry of individuals entering the clinic to allow for contact tracing if needed.
- All visits to the clinic are by appointment – no walk ins, please. This includes optical/dispensary services as well as optometric care services.
- We are requiring the use of masks for all doctors, staff and patients over the age of two years while in the clinic. Please bring your own 3-ply medical mask (preferred at this time) with you and wear to your appointment. One will be provided for you upon arrival if you do not have one.
- We request patients attend their appointment on their own unless a support person is needed or the accompaniment of a minor is required (let us know if so). As much as we love seeing you, please no families at this time.
- Everyone entering and leaving the building will be required to use hand sanitizer stationed at all entrances/exits.
- Please limit the belongings you bring into the clinic. However, do bring your glasses and/or contact lenses that are needed for the completion of your eye examination as well as a list of all current medications and supplements.
- We will need to limit the number of patients in the clinic at any one time in order to enable physical distancing. Floor decals will be incorporated to guide and assist with distancing and we kindly ask that when possible, 2m/6ft of space be maintained between individuals. The two floors and 5500 sq ft of office space that our practice enjoys has proven to be very beneficial for physical distancing.
- In some circumstances, telehealth appointments may provide more appropriate care and you may prefer to have a virtual appointment if possible. We may recommend all or part of your examination to occur via this option in order to reduce contact time in the clinic.
- Magazines, toys, chalk/chalk brushes, have been removed and waiting room chairs have been marked off to allow for increased space between their use. However, we are striving to avoid the use of our waiting rooms at this time.
- Plexiglass partitioning has been installed at both main administrative desks as well as at dispensary/optical fitting desks. Breath shields on diagnostic equipment have been incorporated. Face shields or protective eyewear/goggles along with our face masks will be worn by doctors and staff when physical distancing cannot be maintained.
- A regular and frequent daily schedule of disinfecting high touchpoints in the clinic has been incorporated with approved CDC and Health Canada products against COVID-19.
- All examination devices, equipment and appliances that come in contact with our patients will continue to be disinfected before the next patient is exposed to it. We have obtained a UV sterilization process as added benefit of protection for diagnostic and treatment tools and equipment.
- Scrubs and lab coats and surgical gowns will be the new fashion style! Replaced daily of course.
- Contactless curbside delivery for contact lenses, contact lens solutions, eye drops, eye cleansing wipes, vitamins, sunglasses, spectacles and more will be available with its own parking spot! Orders can be made by phone or through our new online store at www.optometristsoncolborne.com where you can shop and order anytime. Direct delivery to your home will continue to be available for many products as well.
We are first and foremost dedicated to the safety and health of our team and our thousands of patients who pass through our doors every year. This commitment is clear with each patient experience. Collectively, our clinic has performed exceptionally well in limiting the spread of this virus. With careful and thoughtful protocols, we can continue to do so safely and still provide the great care and expertise that Optometrists on Colborne has given for generations to London and Area’s best patients. Looking forward to seeing you!
Drs. Van Ymeren, Townshend, Lawrence, Moore, Copeman and Associates